Henrik Zetterberg, Professor, MD, PhD
Tel (office): +46 31 3430142
Tel (Cell): +46 768 672647
Tel (secretary): +46 31 3430025
Fax: +46 31 3432426
Head of the Department of Psychiatry and Neurochemistry
Senior Consultant in Clinical Chemistry
EDUCATION AND SCIENTIFIC MERITS
MD, University of Gothenburg 1998
PhD, University of Gothenburg 2003
Specialist in clinical chemistry 2006
Associate Professor of Neurochemistry, University of Gothenburg 2007
Professor of Neurochemistry, University of Gothenburg 2011
Research fellow, Harvard Institutes of Medicine, Boston, USA (neurology), 2004-2005.
- 1998-1999 Internship (full-time): Kärnsjukhuset in Skövde.
- 1999-2006 Resident in Clinical Chemistry at Sahlgrenska University Hospital with 50% research time.
- 2004-2005 Post-doc at Harvard Medical School, Boston.
- 2005-2007 Assistant Professor (50%) in Neurochemistry at the University of Gothenburg, financed by FAS.
- 2006- Specialist and Senior Consultant in Clinical Chemistry at Sahlgrenska University Hospital.
- 2007-2011 Associate Professor of Neurochemistry, University of Gothenburg.
- 2007-2009 Junior Researcher at the Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg financed by the Swedish Research Council.
- 2009- Head of the Department of Psychiatry and Neurochemistry at the Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg.
- 2010- Senior Researcher at the Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg financed by the Swedish Research Council.
- 2011- Professor of Neurochemistry, University of Gothenburg.
- 2012- Guest Professor of Neurochemistry, 20%, at UCL Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London, UK.
The projects I am involved in all address brain function in health and disease with particular emphasis on neurochemical markers.
- 341 publications in PubMed, March, 2013.
- 6053 citations and h-index 35 according to Web of Science, March, 2013.
- 7561 citations and h-index 42 according to Google Scholar, March, 2013.
- Zetterberg H, Hietala MA, Jonsson M, Andreasen N, Styrud E, Karlsson I, Edman A, Popa C, Rasulzada A, Wahlund LO, Mehta PD, Rosengren L, Blennow K, Wallin A. Neurochemical aftermath of amateur boxing. Arch Neurol. 2006;63:1277-80.
- Zetterberg H, Campbell WA, Yang HW, Xia W. The cytosolic loop of the gamma-secretase component presenilin enhancer 2 protects zebrafish embryos from apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:11933-9.
- Gisslén M, Krut J, Andreasson U, Blennow K, Cinque P, Brew BJ, Spudich S, Hagberg L, Rosengren L, Price RW, Zetterberg H. Amyloid and tau cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers in HIV infection. BMC Neurol. 2009 Dec 22;9:63.
- DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT OF ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE (S2817 USP), Nov. 2010. Inventors: Nilsson J, Halim A, Larsson G, Blennow K, Brinkmalm G, Portelius E, Zetterberg H.
- METHODS OF DETERMINING A TREATMENT PROTOCOL FOR AND/OR A PROGNOSIS OF A PATIENTS RECOVERY FROM A BRAIN INJURY. Applicants: QUANTERIX CORPORATION (US), WILSON David (US), ZETTERBERG John Henrik (SE), BLENNOW Kaj (SE) and RANDALL Jeffrey D. (US). Inventors: John Henrik Zetterberg (SE), Kaj Blennow (SE), David Wilson (US) and Jeffrey D. Randall (US).
CURRENT RESERARCH GRANTS
- THE SWEDISH RESEARCH COUNCIL, Grant Number: K2011-61X-20401-05-6, 1,200,000 Skr/year. Principal Investigator: ZETTERBERG, HENRIK. Project Period: 2011 – 2013.
- THE SWEDISH RESEARCH COUNCIL, Grant Number: K2010-63P-21562-01-4, 1,200,000 Skr/year. Principal Investigator: ZETTERBERG, HENRIK. Project Period: 2010 – 2016.
- THE SWEDISH RESEARCH COUNCIL in collaboration with EU (Joint Programme - Neurodegenerative Disorders), Grant Number: 529-2012-16, 4,100,000 Skr in total to ZETTERBERG, HENRIK, who is co-PI together with Swedish, Dutch and German researchers. Project Period: 2012 – 2015.
- SWEDISH STATE SUPPORT FOR CLINICAL RESEARCH, Grant Number: ALFGBG-144341, 1,050,000 Skr/year. Principal Investigator: ZETTERBERG, HENRIK. Project Period: 2010 – 2013.
- SWEDISH STATE SUPPORT FOR CLINICAL PROFESSORS, 500,000 Skr/year. Principal Investigator: ZETTERBERG, HENRIK. Project Period: 2011 – .
- ALZHEIMER’S ASSOCIATION, Anonymous donor, 360,000 Skr/year. Principal Investigator: ZETTERBERG, HENRIK, Project Period: 2012-2014.
- EUROPEAN MEDICAL INFORMATION FRAMEWORK project EMIF-AD, 3,380,000 Skr in total to ZETTERBERG, HENRIK, WP4 Leader. Project Period: 2012-2017.
- 2004-2005 Recipient of a Fulbright Grant.
- 2009 Invited plenary speaker, International Conference on Alzheimer’s Disease, Vienna.
- 2009 Research Fellowship in Medicine, the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. 2011 Elected founding member of the Young Academy of Sweden.
- 2011 Recipient of the Erik K. Fernström prize for young scientists.
- 2012 Honorary Lecturer at the graduation ceremony for medical students at the Sahlgrenska Academy.
The Swedish Society for Clinical Chemistry; The Swedish Medical Association; The Swedish Society of Medicine; Federation of European Biochemical Societies; The Swedish Society for Cognitive Disorders; The Swedish Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; The Göteborg Medical Society; The Swedish Fulbright Alumni Association.
HZ is associate editor of Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease and editorial board member of International Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, Molecular Medicine Reports, International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Biomarkers in Medicine. I review grants for Alzheimer’s Association, USA; Alzheimer’s Research, UK; Alzheimer’s Society, UK; The Medical Research Council, UK; the Health Department of the Scottish government; and the Austrian Science Fund.HZ is ad hoc reviewer for more than 40 scientific journals, including Lancet, Lancet Neurology, Neurology and Brain.
- Malin von Otter, 2009
- Rolf Anckarsäter, 2010
- Niklas Mattsson, 2011
- Jonny Daborg, 2012
- Elisabeth Strandhagen, 2004
- Erik Portelius, 2009
- Michael Jonsson, 2012
HZ is currently main supervisor for 4 PhD students and assistant supervisor for 9 PhD students.